Sunday, August 03, 2008
Vietnam week 2: Down in the Mekong Delta
Rowboats slip silently between gigantic ferns in the Delta
memorable experiences this week:
* Editing a monk's english writings on Buddhist statues in his pagoda, Sam Mountain. He spoke with a pronounced French accent, though claimed not to understand French.
* The barefoot dentist at a Pharmacy who left his patient under the lamp to sell me a bottle of water.
* Hundreds of swiftlets' nests swarming with wings under the eaves of a waterstained colonial building-turned-karaoke bar/massage/sauna in Ha Tien
* Laughing in Vietnamese lessons on the beach in Mui Nai
* Being invited to teach an english class to ten-year-olds, Dragon Island, Mekong Delta
* Getting a friendly dose of hustling in Khmer once a local kid found out I spoke a little (Thach Dong Cave Pagoda), while in Kampuchea Krom
* Drinking "weasel coffee" on the To Chau River. Somehow smooth and bitter at the same time.
Posted by Ebriel